Coralville and all of Iowa


Coralville and all of Iowa



How Do I Get Worker’s Compensation in Iowa?

An experienced workers’ compensation attorney fighting for you

The workers’ compensation system in Iowa is designed to provide injured workers with the medical care they need, as well as partial wages while they are recovering. But the claims process can be complicated. And many workers don’t even know how to start a claim. Paul McAndrew Law Firm, PLLC is dedicated to helping injured workers successfully navigate the claims process.

As soon as you are hurt at work, or learn you are suffering from a work-related illness, you can begin the claims process. In general, the steps are:

  • Reporting your injury or illness – You have 90 days to notify your employer about your injury or illness – but you should do so as soon as possible. Provide your notification in writing and keep a copy for your records.
  • Getting medical attention See a doctor, even if you feel OK. A doctor can determine the exact nature of your injury and provide documentation for your workers’ compensation claim.
  • Filing a claim – You will need to fill out a workers’ compensation claim form, which your employer can provide. This “First Report of Injury Or Illness” form will ask details about your injury or illness. Be sure to answer all questions carefully and accurately. Your employer will then file the form with the Iowa Division of Workers’ Compensation and the insurance company.
  • Approval or denial – An insurance adjuster will review your case and contact you on the status of your claim. If approved, you will be given information about the benefits you will be receiving and for how long. If denied, you should be provided with a reason for denying your claim.
  • Appeals – You have the right to appeal a denial of benefits, first through the Iowa Division of Workers’ Compensation and all the way through the court system, if necessary.

Free Case Consultation

We strongly advise you to consult a workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible following your work injury or illness. An attorney can advise you about how best to protect your rights, help you file your claim and help you gather supporting documentation. And if your claim is denied, an attorney can help guide you through the appeals process.

Attorney Paul McAndrew has been fighting on behalf of injured workers for decades. He is thoroughly familiar with Iowa’s workers’ compensation laws and knows how to navigate the claims process successfully. He has helped countless injured workers get the benefits they deserve, both through negotiated settlements and litigation.

Learn more about how Paul can help you with your claim. Schedule a free consultation by calling 319-887-1690 today. Paul can review your situation, explain your options and answer all your questions.