An Iowa workers’ compensation attorney who gets results
If you are injured in a workplace accident in Iowa, there is a process that must be followed in order for you to get workers’ compensation benefits. This includes treatment by a doctor chosen by your employer. Paul McAndrew Law Firm, PLLC helps injured workers prepare for their initial exam so they receive fair treatment.
Here are some things to keep in mind before you go in for your first appointment with the doctor chosen by your employer:
- Review the facts about your accident – The doctor may ask you questions about the accident that left you injured. Review the details before your appointment so you don’t leave anything out. Any inconsistencies in your explanation can be used by the insurance company as a reason to deny you benefits.
- Review the treatment you’ve received so far – You may also be asked about any treatment you have already received for your injury following your accident. This includes any surgeries, procedures or medication.
- Be forthcoming about your medical history – For example, if you had a previous injury in the same location on your body, don’t try to conceal that fact. But you can point out that this injury is new and different.
- Answer all questions honestly and as accurately as you can – Don’t exaggerate your symptoms or limitations you are experiencing. This can put your benefits at risk if the insurance company thinks you are lying. But don’t downplay your symptoms or limitations, either. Just give honest answers.
- Be on time – This demonstrates that you take the claims process seriously and that you are responsible.
- Be polite – While the employer chose the doctor, it’s still important to be polite and respectful during your examination. Any perceived hostility could hurt your claim for benefits.
- Bring a friend – Plan on bringing a trusted friend or relative with you. This person should not speak, but can take notes, provide you with support and act as a witness.