ATTORNEY PAUL J. MCANDREW JR
Paul McAndrew is a Kalona, Iowa, native and has a passion for protecting the interests of working men and women, and their families
- Admitted to bar, 1983,Iowa, and U.S. District Court, Southern and Northern Districts of Iowa;
- 1987, U.S Claims Court; 1999, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; 2000, U.S. Supreme Court 2003;
- Law Clerk to Honorable William C. Stuart, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa, 1983-1985
University of Iowa (B.A., 1979; J.D., with high distinction, 1983).
We are focused on Iowa workers’ compensation claims and related claims for disability benefits. Our practice is not limited to Iowa City. We also represent people who live outside Iowa, such as truck drivers and construction workers hurt while in Iowa or while working for Iowa employers.
We also protect people hurt at home from:
- Being returned to work unsafely, such as too early for doctor’s orders or in violation of doctor’s restrictions.
- Retaliation, such as unfair transfers, demotions, lay-offs or firings.
- Losing financial well-being while being wrongfully denied benefits.
- Faculty Recognition (Community Citizenship) Award, Awarded at Graduation from UI Law School, 1983
- President’s Award, received from Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, 2010 & 2011
- Award for being Iowa Ass’n for Justice Workers’ Compensation Core Group Charter Member in 1997, Awarded 2011
- Mortimer v. Fruefauf Corp., 502 N.W.2d 12 (Iowa 1993)
- Sioson v. Manpower Temporary Services, 529 N.W. 2d 259 (Iowa 1995)
- Heartland Express, Inc. v. Terry, 631 N.W. 2d 260 (Iowa 2001)
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. v. Caselman, 657 N. W. 2d 493 (Iowa 2003)
- Grinnell College v. Osborn, 751 N.W.2d 396 (Iowa 2008)
- Staff Management v. Jimenez, No. 12-1645 (Iowa Supreme Court, 11/15/13)
- “Harmless Error in Criminal Appeals,” 67 Iowa Law Review 607, 1982
- Editor, Contemporary Studies Project, Iowa Law Review, 1982-1983
- Work Place Injury Litigation, Ch. 1, “Compensability of Work-related Heart Attacks” (2004, eds. Todd Mc Farren & Glen Grossman)
- The Postville Immigration Raid; A Manmade Disaster, Vol. 12, No. 2, Winter 2009, Workers’ Compensation & Workplace Injury Section (A Publication of the American Association for Justice)
- “Let Injured Workers Choose Their Own Doctor,” Workers’ First Watch, Spring 2009 (Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group).
Groups & Committees
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Phi Beta Kappa.
- Johnson County Bar; (1985-present)
- Iowa State Bar (1985 – present; Chair, Workers’ Compensation Section, 1994-1995)
- Iowa Workers’ Compensation Advisory Committee (President 2006, Claimant’s Counsel Representative, 2000-Present)
- Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Attorneys (President 2007; Representative, Board of Governors 1993-Present)
- Iowa Trial Lawyers Association (Representative, Board of Governors, 1993-2012)
- Secretary, Workers’ Compensation Section, 1997-1998
- American Association for Justice (Member 1985-present: Chair, Workers’ Compensation Section, 2001)
- Workers Injury Law & Advocacy Group (Board Member, 1997-Present; Secretary, 2009; Vice-President, 2012)
- Member, AFT Local #716 (2006-Present)
- Fellow, College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, 2008-present
- Member, University of Iowa Occupational Medicine Residency Program Advisory Board (2010-Present)
- Member, Iowa Legal Aid Advisory Council (2011-Present)
- National Academy of Social Insurance (2010-Present)
- Member, Union Privilege Legal Services (2001-Present)